Posted by Joanie Costlow on Nov 1, 2013
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups cubed eggplant
- 1 tbsp salt (for soaking water)
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 thin celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- cup shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese
- Soak cubed eggplant in a bowl with 1 tbsp salt. Use a plate to weight it down. Soak for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small skillet, melt butter. Add eggplant; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the eggplant, tomatoes, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Prick pastry shell with a fork. Add beef mixture. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with
cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.